Have you ever heard about a magical bracelet that has a healing ability ? Over thousands of years, many medical practitioners have used copper to treat health problems. In ancient Egypt for example, various copper compounds were used to hasten wound healing, treat headaches & epilepsy and sterilize water. Interested to find out more about copper’s mysterious healing ability ? Let’s find out more.
Worn by Pharaohs, Indian Rajas, Chinese Emperors, Persian Kings, Alexander the Great, and so many others, the copper bracelet has had more than just a cosmetic purpose!
Some people believe that copper kills or inhibits the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms. There is a record from The Smith Papyrus, one of the oldest book ever discovered, mentioning the ability of copper to sterilize chest wounds and drinking water. Wearing copper bracelets for medicinal benefits has a long history and has been popular in folklore for thousand of years. But what do modern scientific studies says about that ?
Different mechanism of action about the effect of copper bracelets has been proposed (this list is not exhaustive and should be taken as provisional) :
- There is none: all effects are imagined
- Psychological: the placebo effects explains the results, meaning that believers are more likely to obtain better outcomes.
- Copper has the components that provide iron for the formation of hemoglobin and help form collagen for wound healing
- Correcting copper deficiency can help optimize the body’s resistance to disease
- Copper has a beneficial effect for reasons not understood at present. This would explain why some arthritis sufferers seem to obtain benefit from copper bracelets while others do not.
Conclusions are not unanimous and even though the myth of copper bracelet seem highly attractive, not everybody is convinced about its benefits. Even so, over thousands of years, many medical practitioners have used copper to treat a wide range of health problems. Their claims of success are not just anecdotal. However, the quality of much of the evidence does not meet modern standards, so more studies must be done to define and validate the effects, side effects, and mechanisms of the various copper compounds in various indications.
Have you ever tried to use copper bracelet ? If yes, what is your opinion about it? If you’re interested in testing the ability of copper bracelet or to discover more about copper products, you might want to visit Shanghai Metal Corporation. We have a wide selection of copper products that can be used for many kinds of application. Contact us if you need further information and don’t forget to follow us on social media to get our latest update and offer.
Ayu P.//SMC Editor